Sunday, January 3, 2010

Happy New Year

Happy New Year!! I had a great time with my family on New Year's Eve. Fralinger Stringband won for the 8th time in row on New Year's Day! Congrats!

I made it to the gym on New Year's Eve to usher out 2009. The ankle is still a little twingy but a slow mile run felt good. I worked on New Year's Day (night shift of course) and then on Saturday night. Note to everyone. When naming a person to make your medical decisions for you - make sure they are not going to be so high when that time comes that they can't even stand up or barely keep their eyes open. What a night. This poor woman coded on the floor and was brought down to our ICU. She was a continuous code for over 5 hours. The patient's daughter was so high on something - trying to explain to her what was going on was next to impossible. Another note - 800 relatives, friends, people you might see on the bus - do not have to come to the hospital. That is what a wake and funeral are for - not trying to be mean here, but it make it incredibly hard for the nurses to actually get to the patient and try and code them when they have to call security to get the visitors out of the room and then keep asking them not to go into occupied ICU rooms or vacant rooms. Who does that??? I digress....

Well I actually made it to the gym today after working night shift and the gym closing early. Yeah me. 45 minutes on the Arc Trainer and a slow mile and half felt good. My new Garmin is collecting dust. I do not do cold well. It is 20 degrees here now. (I do do heat well either haha.) I know some people only like to run in shorts but there must be a limit! Come on. It was 19 degrees out, snow on the ground, snowing, and some "idiot" was running with shorts on. His legs were bright red. Hello - frosbite anyone?? Bring it inside and say "treadmill." Jeez!

My plans for 2010 include the wish list to the side. I am not sure that I will be ready for the Rutgers 13.1 but I will try and prepare for it. It may be just too soon for a half marathon for me. But, no fear, I have several more listed :) Still trying to get hubby running with me. It would help if we actually saw each other more than 5 minutes. :)

Having great hopes for the 3-4 weeks the contractors will be here. I will only be working 2 days a week (and taking a vacation day) so I can be here when the contractors are doing the basement. I am hoping to get to the gym Monday - Friday for some quality time :))

I am also planning a trip to Las Vegas with hubs. Have to plan it around my sister's delivery so my mom can watch the kids. Can't wait!!! We've never been there.

Enjoying tonight. Family together watching tv, fire lit, wine, just plain old relaxing!! What's that??! LOL

1 comment:

  1. Nah, you can do a half 4 months from now... but you'll have to run on the dreaded treadmill!!! I hate cold weather too - it's in the 20s and 30s here and I hate it.


Getting ready for my very first run!

After I renigged on my promise to run the Broad Street 10 miler with my friend Chrissy D - I decided to make it up to her by running the Ben Franklin Bridge 10k. Did you read below where I NEVER ran before? She told me that if I cancelled on her again, she would drag me across the bridge by my hair. Okaay then.

I was in shape until a work injury side-lined me (a patient decided to herniate two discs in my neck and tear my shoulder in two places - thanks!) So kiss that bikini goodbye. Pain and inactivity followed. I found myself unable to sleep and in front of the pantry at 3am - everything screaming "eat me!" My day consisted of Percocet, Valium, Red Bull. Percocet for the pain, Valium for the muscle spasms, Red Bull so I could pretend to play mommy for my children. So, physical therapy, epidurals, steroid injections and 40 pounds later, I decided that getting ready for this run was going to help me get back into shape. (I decided against 3 surgeries at this time.)

I had already conquered the ellipticals at the gym. I could do them for an hour on level 6 and barely break a sweat. Surely I could run a measely 6.2 miles. I moved on to the treadmill. I couldn't even run .25 miles continuously. This was a lot harder than it looked.

The Ben Franklin Bridge is almost 3 miles back and forth and it went up, up, up!! and then down. The first time I crossed it (walking, mind you) on the pedestrian cross-walk, my calves were cursing me in three languages. What did I sign up for - who was I kidding?

I downloaded inspiring, fast beat music to keep me pumped up and ready (Britney, Buck Cherry's Crazy Bitch (yep that's me), Pink, PCD, etc.) I decided that I would go for distance and not speed. I discovered that I had exercise-induced asthma when I pushed a little too far (anything at that time was too far). Soon I was able to run a mile, then 2 - at once. I continued to "do" the bridge and even took my kids a couple of times. I had to find a better way to keep my iphone close. They didn't make an arm band that I liked so I found a "runner's belt" online and soon had it. I tried it out one day in the park. My 11 year old was with me and started laughing when I put my iphone in it. "Seriously mom, a fanny pack?" It is not a fanny pack, it is a belt. It stays still, doesn't ride up and I can put my keys in it too. So there!

The weight was slowly coming off. I decided to take a drastic measure - no alcohol at all for the month before the race (oh no, what was I thinking.) My goal was 20 pounds by race day. I continued to plod along on the treadmill. I was up to 5k with almost no problems. However, when I tried to run outside, my body rebelled. The park trail was 1.3 miles - however, it was not flat (but hey - either was the bridge). I was a wheezing, sweaty mess .4 miles into the "run." I was running faster than I was used to on the treadmill. (GPS is a wonderful thing - an app I downloaded on my iphone let me know my distance, speed, and even mapped my route - love the gadgets!)

Strep throat struck my son (11) and he generously shared it with me two weeks before the race. I bought new sneakers (Asics Nimbus Gel 11) and my shins and calves let me know it was not a good idea to change things two weeks before the run. So I went back to my Nike Lunar Glides and made everybody happy. My 16 year old decided he would like to try on the Swine Flu one week before the run. My throat was still bothering me from last week and my chest was tight. I was having some serious doubts if I would be able to finish this race. Not to mention Lysol toxicity from degerming the whole house.

I completed 5.5 miles on the treadmill on my birthday, 6 days before the Sunday race, and for the first time I thought I might be able to do it. It rained for the next two days, so I didn't run the bridge (think shuffle up and run down). I worked Friday night and had off on Halloween. Was I ready? I made my goal of losing 20 pounds two days before the run - yeah me! (20 more to go!)
P.S. Read posts bottom up :)

Ben Franklin Bridge

Ben Franklin Bridge

Kids on the Bridge

Kids on the Bridge