Thursday, March 18, 2010

Running and potty breaks

I don't know what happens when I run, but the need to go to the bathroom hits more often than not. I can attack the elliptical for an hour at level 7 - no problem. Weights for an hour and a half - no problem. Spinning class - no problem. I worked Tuesday night and didn't sleep well on Wednesday day, so I didn't make it to the gym. So I hit the basement and the treadmill. I was going pretty well when that uh-oh feeling hit. I forced a mile before I jumped off and ran to the bathroom. Back to the treadmill. Not long after, it happened again. I mean really. I was feeling great and could have gone for 4 or 5 miles. But, believe this, my shoe came untied twice and the potty breaks....I cut it close to shower time and only did 2.5 miles. Blah.

I had a great two weeks at the gym. However, the scale has not really budged. I've cut the ETOH (that's alcohol for the non-medicals LOL) down to Sunday only. Since I work 3-5 night shifts a week, it doesn't leave me many days anyway :) I plan to do the same as I did for the Bridge Run and cut out the ETOH for the month of April before the Broad Street 10 miler. (Bummer, since the "Beverage Center" is almost finished in the basement.)

Hopefully I can get my neighbor to take the kids to CCD so I can make the spinning class again. For some good news, I think that the Sketchers have actually helped my plantar fasciitis (maybe about 75%.) Either that, or it spontaneously went away (not). I still have problems waking up - if I remember to stretch first and walk slowly - this helps. But usually, I jump up and run to pee :) Sitting for a while also stiffens me up. But it is a lot better - yeah!


  1. The only bathroom issue I have is always having to tinkle RIGHT before running. Like seriously, I'll go before we leave the house and then by the time we make it to the trail - I have to go again. I think I'm just a nervous tinkler! LOL

  2. I always had the nervous pee right before I got into the starting blocks in high school track. It was quite annoying, but I think that always made me run faster in the race.

  3. Very late to comment, but yeah, the Bathroom Issue. You don't say exactly *which* issue you're having, but my guess is poop. aka Runner's Belly. When I first started running, for a while there I'd average a poop per mile. Seriously. Thank goodness I'm a trail runner, because I don't know how "normal" runners cope. It's a pretty common occurrence, mostly when one first starts packing on the milage.

    The more I ran, the less this happened, till now I pretty much am ok. It was a "problem" for maybe my first year? Your body will learn . . .


Getting ready for my very first run!

After I renigged on my promise to run the Broad Street 10 miler with my friend Chrissy D - I decided to make it up to her by running the Ben Franklin Bridge 10k. Did you read below where I NEVER ran before? She told me that if I cancelled on her again, she would drag me across the bridge by my hair. Okaay then.

I was in shape until a work injury side-lined me (a patient decided to herniate two discs in my neck and tear my shoulder in two places - thanks!) So kiss that bikini goodbye. Pain and inactivity followed. I found myself unable to sleep and in front of the pantry at 3am - everything screaming "eat me!" My day consisted of Percocet, Valium, Red Bull. Percocet for the pain, Valium for the muscle spasms, Red Bull so I could pretend to play mommy for my children. So, physical therapy, epidurals, steroid injections and 40 pounds later, I decided that getting ready for this run was going to help me get back into shape. (I decided against 3 surgeries at this time.)

I had already conquered the ellipticals at the gym. I could do them for an hour on level 6 and barely break a sweat. Surely I could run a measely 6.2 miles. I moved on to the treadmill. I couldn't even run .25 miles continuously. This was a lot harder than it looked.

The Ben Franklin Bridge is almost 3 miles back and forth and it went up, up, up!! and then down. The first time I crossed it (walking, mind you) on the pedestrian cross-walk, my calves were cursing me in three languages. What did I sign up for - who was I kidding?

I downloaded inspiring, fast beat music to keep me pumped up and ready (Britney, Buck Cherry's Crazy Bitch (yep that's me), Pink, PCD, etc.) I decided that I would go for distance and not speed. I discovered that I had exercise-induced asthma when I pushed a little too far (anything at that time was too far). Soon I was able to run a mile, then 2 - at once. I continued to "do" the bridge and even took my kids a couple of times. I had to find a better way to keep my iphone close. They didn't make an arm band that I liked so I found a "runner's belt" online and soon had it. I tried it out one day in the park. My 11 year old was with me and started laughing when I put my iphone in it. "Seriously mom, a fanny pack?" It is not a fanny pack, it is a belt. It stays still, doesn't ride up and I can put my keys in it too. So there!

The weight was slowly coming off. I decided to take a drastic measure - no alcohol at all for the month before the race (oh no, what was I thinking.) My goal was 20 pounds by race day. I continued to plod along on the treadmill. I was up to 5k with almost no problems. However, when I tried to run outside, my body rebelled. The park trail was 1.3 miles - however, it was not flat (but hey - either was the bridge). I was a wheezing, sweaty mess .4 miles into the "run." I was running faster than I was used to on the treadmill. (GPS is a wonderful thing - an app I downloaded on my iphone let me know my distance, speed, and even mapped my route - love the gadgets!)

Strep throat struck my son (11) and he generously shared it with me two weeks before the race. I bought new sneakers (Asics Nimbus Gel 11) and my shins and calves let me know it was not a good idea to change things two weeks before the run. So I went back to my Nike Lunar Glides and made everybody happy. My 16 year old decided he would like to try on the Swine Flu one week before the run. My throat was still bothering me from last week and my chest was tight. I was having some serious doubts if I would be able to finish this race. Not to mention Lysol toxicity from degerming the whole house.

I completed 5.5 miles on the treadmill on my birthday, 6 days before the Sunday race, and for the first time I thought I might be able to do it. It rained for the next two days, so I didn't run the bridge (think shuffle up and run down). I worked Friday night and had off on Halloween. Was I ready? I made my goal of losing 20 pounds two days before the run - yeah me! (20 more to go!)
P.S. Read posts bottom up :)

Ben Franklin Bridge

Ben Franklin Bridge

Kids on the Bridge

Kids on the Bridge